Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Union Rescue Mission

I don't recall Orange County raining this much since El Nino 10 years ago.  The rain put a damper on my Big Bear cabin trip this past weekend and has made Christmas shopping more dreadful than it already is.  I love the cold, but with the heavy rain, it has made the freeways a war zone.  Accidents every few miles, flooding, and cars driving 30 mph. 

Between all this complaining, I'm thankful I have a car to get me places, a jacket to keep me dry, and a warm bed to sleep in at night.  There are hundreds, even thousands, of people out there that don't have any of the mentioned.  Last night at 10pm, Cole posted this on Twitter and I quickly jumped on it. 


Every year around the holidays, I always want to volunteer or donate.  It's tough for me to donate money since I don't make much.  So assisting Cole was the next best thing.  Everyone has extra clothes, shoes, blankets, etc that they don't want or need.  She had plans to take all the clothes to the Union Rescue Mission at noon today.  I posted on my Facebook late last night to see if anyone could donate clothes.  To my surprise I got a great response. By 10am, I had two people leave bags of clothes on my doorstep and arranged to pick up from 5 other people.  It amazes me how many people, some I don't even talk to, got in contact with me to donate to a good cause. 

I battled the rain, slow drivers, got locked inside a friends gate (ended up having to jumping over) and ended up with about 20 huge bags of clothes.  I didn't expect to collect as much as I did so when I saw it slowly piling up in my car, I got a bit nervous.  I still had a couple more stops and wasn't sure whether it would all fit in my car.  In the end, I made it work and fit everything in my car to drop it off at Cole's.  





Thank you to the people that quickly acted on this and got these bags together.  It's such a good feeling at the end of the day knowing that you can help out the less fortunate.  I'm lucky to have a roof over my head and dry clothes to change into every day.  Some just aren't so that's where you step in and help in every which way.  

For those of you that still want to donate, Cole is holding another pick-up tomorrow morning at Brea Mall at the Macy's parking lot at 10am.  Let me know if you would like more information and I can link you over to her. 

xox,
C






1 comment:

Pre Middle Age said...

Cindy...I'm so impressed with you. You do, rather than talk of doing.@misstaylorcast is taking the lead tomorrow but I'm coming along as a driver and to bring more bags. Feel very rich in spirit today for knowing you.